Monday, May 24, 2010

Part Four - Home Sweet Home

We flew the last leg of our flight on the Royal Jordanian airline. Good Choice, Jenny! What a great little airline. It was a two hour flight that included news papers, hot hand towels and delicious halal meals served by great flight attendants, it put United to shame, let me tell you! We don't even do pretzels anymore on flights under 3 or 4 hours. There was a young woman sitting across from me who literally stared at me the entire flight. I started to think that maybe I had buggers all over my face or something, it was beyond me. She was this pretty little arab with some serious bling happening. Anyway, I thought that was a little weird. Maybe I did have something all over my face and Jerid didn't want to tell me.

The branch president from Amman picked us up from the airport. Jerid spotted a man holding a white sign with "HENSLEY" on the front. I was hoping the church decided to send a limo driver for us, but nope, it was President Hoffman himself. Immediately we loved Amman. The weather was cool with a nice breeze and there were picnickers lining the highways under the trees with their children running around playing together. The president gave us a quick 40 minute run down of the history of the country as we drove the scenic route around the city and through the Palestinian refugee camps. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of these sights yet, but I'll be sure to start taking more pictures of Amman in the coming weeks.

President Hoffman dropped us off at the LDS Cultural Center where the Missionaries live. The building was once the Swiss Embassy which is pretty cool. President and Sister Boyd have welcomed us warmly and we've been a part of the family ever since. We'll stay here until we find an apartment which we've been our searching for at least a few hours of every day.

Last night we took a trip to the Dead Sea for a real Jordanian BBQ. Ballal, who is married to a woman in our ward (Lori), cooked us up some lamb and beef shish-kabob's with eggplant and hummus. I've been having a bit of heartburn lately and so it absolutely killed me that I couldn't stuff myself to the quick just like everyone else. It was truly one of the best meals of my life! Jerid was in heaven too! He likes this food more than I do!

Looking across the Dead Sea you can see the ancient town of Jericho and after the sun sets you can see the lights of Jerusalem. You couldn't help but feel emotional standing and looking over a land that has been walked by so many prophets and even Christ himself. We have so many places to see in the next few months and if it gets any better than this, we're some of the luckiest people on the earth. We are truly blessed to have this opportunity.
























- Posted from iPad

1 comment:

  1. Jenny -

    I am so happy to read/hear you all made it there safely! I sure do miss you :-(, but SO happy for you!

    Katie

    ReplyDelete