Monday, May 24, 2010

Part Three - Kuwait

Jerid and I took the early flight from Sacramento to Washington DC where we had a two hour layover before jumping on the plane to Kuwait City. Luckily we made first class on the flight so we had the chance to get some well needed rest. I felt homesick for the first time as we were landing that day. I looked out my window and all I could see was dust and smog. There was no vegetation and I could literally see the waves of heat coming up off the earth, it was 107 degrees when we landed. Little did I know that Amman is NOT so barren and hot, but in that moment, I just wanted to be back in the states where I knew there would be at least shade and ice cold diet coke. Being homesick is not a feeling I've had very often in my life, so it didn't sit very well with me in that moment.

Jerid and I stayed the night in a hotel at the airport. We checked in and took a long nap. When we woke up it was after 10pm their time and we hadn't eaten so we ran downstairs to see what we could find. When we walked into the restaurant we asked the waiter if we could get some menus, but he told us that we had to come back later when dinner is being served. We were both a little lost. He then told us that the cook doesn't start cooking until 12:30am because that's when it is cool enough to cook. Crazy! So, we had some great dinner at 1:00am with a group of indian people heading to Sri Lanka the next morning all of whom smelled a little funny and starred at us a lot. That was just the beginning.

Jerid standing in from of Prince Abdulla of Kuwait and another prince.



- Posted from iPad

Location:Kuwait City, Kuwait

No comments:

Post a Comment