Sunday, October 9, 2011

Yom Kipper

I'm taking a break from updating old blog posts to tell you about our weekend in Israel. Since we've been here, we've had three holidays. I can't stand it because the entire country shuts down. No eating out, going to the grocery store or any shops. I'm locked in the house most times with the baby during the day, so I look forward to evenings when Jerid and I walk around Sokolov street where we can window shop, grab a treat at the bakery or do some shopping at the fruit stand. So, this weekend (also my birthday) was Yom Kipper, their holiest of holy days. You cannot drive a vehicle on this day... Nope, not even the Gentiles! They even shut down their airport and their borders, it's a little eerie. On the day before Yom Kipper we stopped to ask a police officer what time we had to stop driving, he replied "Well, you can actually drive anytime but you may get stoned.... (long pause for emphasis) by some religious people if you do!" Awesome, thanks.
So, the Eve of the holiday we went on our usual evening walk before Axel's bedtime. It was unusually quiet because people weren't driving. Once we crossed the street we saw tons of kids on bikes, kids in electric cars, old people in wheelchairs, everyone out in the streets! Walking, talking, riding, visiting. There were thousands of them, as far as the eye could see! We heard that even the freeways are filled with bikers! Jerid said he felt like we were in a post apocalyptic time, it was so weird. I didn't have my camera with me that evening unfortunately, but the next morning I snapped a few pictures. There weren't a lot of people out because it was early, but it'll still give you an idea. The one thing I kept thinking was, how much money the country saved on fuel. I wish I knew the stats.








- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Location:החלוץ,Herzliya,Israel

No comments:

Post a Comment